VersiGard® TPO EPDM:
Building Integrity From The Top Down
VersiGard TPO EPDM membranes have been around for nearly 50 years and are some of the most durable, high-performance membranes available today. Because of the membrane’s proven long-term strength and quality, Versico offers up to 30-year system warranties.
Versico VersiGard TPO EPDM membranes have been field tested for decades with long-term exposure to UV and ozone resulting in little property change. Versico VersiGard TPO EPDM Systems are economical to install, offer easy maintenance for owners and achieve Factory Mutual (FM) approvals and (UL) Underwriter’s Laboratories fire ratings.
Versico Roofing Systems’ TPO EPDM membranes offer an optimal solution for nearly any low-slope roofing situation. EPDM is a durable material that has more than 50 years of proven, in-ﬁeld performance. With significant physical property advantages, warming benefits in northern climates, and innovations in product technologies, EPDM is still defining the standard in the commercial roofing market.
Below are the top 10 reasons to consider Versigard TPO EPDM on your next roofing project.
- Time Tested
EPDM is time-tested in real-world conditions. Black EPDM roofing systems have been used for more than 50 years, and white EPDM roofing systems have been used for more than 25 years. Testing of 30-year old EPDM shows tear, tensile strength, and flexibility meet or exceed ASTM standards.
- Superior Weathering Resistance
EPDM has advanced resistance to UV exposure, heat, and mold:
• ASTM G155 for Xenon Arc = 41,580 kJ/m² for black EPDM
and 25,200 kJ/m² for white EPDM
• ASTM D573 for heat aging = 68 weeks at 240°F • ASTM G21 for fungi = zero (no growth)
EPDM is offered as a non-reinforced membrane which provides a full thickness of weathering materials with no internal scrim.
- Superior Hail Resistance
Numerous studies and real-world experience conﬁ rm that EPDM’s 465% elongation (ASTM D412) and weathering resistance result in superior hail damage resistance and UL2218 Class 4 rating.
- Energy Efficient
In the Texas Gulf Coast winter climate, the solar thermal benefits of black EPDM helps to reduce heating costs, which are typically 3-5 times greater than air-conditioning costs. Reflective white EPDM helps to reduce cooling costs in Texas Gulf Coast Summer climates. The cross-linked nature of EPDM can handle the heat of southern climates.
- Rooftop Safety
EPDM’s dark-colored surface helps to melt frost, dew, and ice that can create slippery conditions on white membranes. A black EPDM membrane helps to reduce a roof’s snow load and dries much more quickly than a reflective roof.
EPDM is the most dimensionally stable membrane, remaining ﬂ exible even in extremely cold conditions. Per ASTM D5279-08, EPDM is more ﬂ exible at 0°F than TPO at 100°F.
The solar thermal benefits of black EPDM also help to reduce potential condensation issues. Undetected condensation in a roofing assembly can negatively affect the performance of paper insulation facers, weakening the bond between insulation and adhesive, and can have a detrimental effect on the insulation’s R-value, resulting in reduced thermal efficiency.
- Quality Seams
Versico’s labor-saving Quick-Applied Tape (QAT™) and pressure-sensitive ﬂ ashings improve the quality and consistency of seams. Electrical seaming equipment consumes natural resources and is dependent on the applicator using correct speed, temperature, and pressure to avoid false or cold welds.
- Fewer Seams
EPDM is available in large 16′-wide to 30′-wide sheets for adhered applications, reducing the number of seams by up to 67% when compared to 10′ sheets.
Why Choose VersiGard EPDM?
The VersiGard TPO Roofing Systems incorporate either 45-mil or 60-mil reinforced or non-reinforced EPDM membrane.
VersiGard (black) reinforced membranes, in 45-, 60-and 75-mil thicknesses, are manufactured with a polyester reinforcement completely encapsulated between two plies of EPDM. Specially developed for Versico’s mechanically attached, purlin attached and fully adhered systems, the membrane offers superior fatigue and puncture resistance.
Versico’s narrow-width EPDM membranes are pre-cleaned to provide a dust-free surface and enhance splice performance. Additionally, set marks for sheet overlaps and fastener patterns are manufactured right onto the sheet, reducing installation time.
VersiGard TPO EPDM With Quick-Applied Tape
One of the most critical portions of a VersiGard TPO EPDM installation can be made faster and easier with Quick-Applied Tape (QAT) Seam Technology, which factory-applies the Seam Tape to the membrane, greatly reducing the time required for completing seams and minimizing your labor costs.
VersiGard TPO EPDM with QAT:
- Improves seaming productivity by nearly 75% and saves labor costs
- Improves the ability to get buildings “in the dry” in less time
- Factory-controlled consistency provides professional finish for any roofing system
90-Mil Non-Reinforced Membrane
- Provides extra durability and resistance to extreme weather due to its added thickness
- Double the thickness of typical membranes
- Added longevity with the thickest weathering layer available
- More resistant to punctures and hail
- Able to withstand the rigors of foot traffic
VersiGard’s 90-mil non-reinforced TPO EPDM membrane combined with an adhered roofing system can be utilized in our 30-year Total Systems Warranty (contractors must be pre-approved to install 30-year systems).
- Versico insulation is recommended for use with all of Versico’s VersiGard TPO Roofing Systems and is required in a Versico Total Systems Warranty.
- Standard polyisocyanurate board size is 4′ x 8′ with a thickness range from 1″ to 4″ and is also available in tapered form
- Versico Polyisocyanurate Insulation is UL and/or FM approved as a system component in certain roofing assemblies
- Versico ISO is a polyisocyanurate insulation with foam core insulation boards faced on both sides with a medium-weight fiber-reinforced felt. This dimensionally stable, durable insulation offers maximum thermal efficiency..
Versico Roofing System Warranties
- Up to 40-year Premium TPO Membrane Warranties are available. Also, up to 30-year Total Roofing System Warranties are available. Standard wind speed coverage is 55 mph. Additional wind speed warranties are available.
- A warranted system is installed by an authorized Versico Roofing Contractor. A completed warranted system is inspected by a trained Versico Field Service Representative to ensure conformance with Versico specifications.
Have storm damage or an aging roof that needs repaired or replaced?
Call us today at 832-671-1357 or fill out the information below and one of our TPO roofing specialists will contact you as soon as possible.